Health Care Forum

Body care, skin care, women's health, men's health, children and teens, weight loss & beauty advice

All times are UTC

Post subject: Failed Surgical Abortion
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:37 pm 
User

I had a surgical abortion 2 weeks ago. At the time, I thought I was 6 weeks along. According to the ultrasound, I was actually only about 5 weeks.

After the procedure, the nurse came out and said that I had to have blood work done as soon as possible and then two days later to check for Beta hcg levels. I did as asked. I got a call back and told that the levels weren't dropping and that I needed to get another test done 5 days later. I did as asked. Well, they called back and said that the levels were rising and that I needed to come back in and do the procedure again. They said that there was still products of conception left. What exactly is that?

Can somebody tell me what has happened. Am I still pregnant or is there just some tissue left? I still feel pregnant but no fever or pain.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:38 pm 
Doctor

You could still be pregnant, but that does not mean it is viable. Understand? You could basically have HALF of a fetus inside of you.

OR you could JUST have some placental tissue inside of you, which would continue the pregnancy feelings.

You should have another abortion/re suction so that you do not develop any problems.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:38 pm 
User

That sounds horrifying! In terms of "half" a fetus left inside - when the nurse did the initial ultrasound I was so early that there was no fetus yet... she actually showed me the picture on the monitor because I guess she thought it would make me feel better that there wasn't actually a baby formed yet, just what looked like a round cell. And it did make me feel better... until now.

So given I was so early and no fetus had formed yet, if they left part of the cells inside - could that have formed into half a fetus? Either way, the thought of having to do this all over again is very distressing to me.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:39 pm 
User

I can't even imagine how hard it must be to be in your situation. As sad as it is, you must stick with your decision and do the right thing by going back in. There's no telling WHAT could become of the situation if you wait any longer or leave it "untreated".

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:39 pm 
User

Thank you for your sympathy. I do have an appointment already schedualed.