Health Care Forum

Body care, skin care, women's health, men's health, children and teens, weight loss & beauty advice

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:31 pm 
User

Yup....When I was 15 I had an abortion when I was 5 months pregnant. I didn't know I was pregnant because I kept having my period.
I'm 17 now, but the memory is as clear as it was the day it happened. Anyone else out there who had such a problem? I'm the only one I know of so far

Doctor

Your not the only one to have an abortion young, I dont know if anyone has had an abortion as late as you though, hold tight though someone else will reply.

User

I am cari, and although I have not had an abortion very young, I have had 3 after the age of 18, I also work in an abortion clinic.

Often, teens have abortions later than adult women do, mostly because they have to find ways to obtain an abortion in the first place. Teens also have irregular cycles, because their bodies have not had time to regulate, so this can also push an abortion later than their more regular adult counterparts.

At my clinic women are put to sleep so they feel no pain during their abortion, and many clinics offer this, I hope yours did to!

I see nothing wrong with an aboriton at 5 months, I just am sorry you did not find out earlier when it might have been easier on you. You are not an oddity, but not many women will admit to 2nd term abortions, because of the stigma associated.

I don't think you are a bad person, and I am glad you came to share so we can support you!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:32 pm 
User

You are not evil and you are not bad! Sometimes things happen in our lives that we don't have much control of or we do things because they were right at the time. Even though I was older, I was kicked in the stomach at 5 and 1/2 months pregnant and my dr pretty much insisted that I abort due to the damage of the fetus but I later went on and had two wonderful children that are now grown and are now on their own and are doing great! I realize that an abortion is something that you rarely never let go of but you must think of moving on and realize that we are here for you! You need to quit blaming yourself, we all make mistakes in life old and young and we cannot live by what if I would have, could have, should have!
All the best!

User

I agree with everyone else, you made a decision - that doesn't make you bad or evil.
My termination wasn't as late at yours but I found out very early on that was pregnant. Lease don't beat yourself up because of your choice

User

Everyone has a reason for what they do and that doesn't make you a bad person. I got pregnant at 18, although I was scared I elected to keep the baby, unfortunately I miscarried. I had my first son at 21 and my second at 23. During my second pregnancy I was diagnosed with cancer, fortunately for me and my second son we are both healthy. I am now 26 and today I found out I was five weeks pregnant. My husband of 8 years and I have decided that at this time in our lives we are not ready for another child and have decided to have an abortion. I am scared and I also feel bad for doing this to an innocent child because I love my children with all my heart and couldn't imagine my life without them. That is why I am glad that woman have the right to make this decision because there are many different circumstances as to why people terminate pregnancies. My main reason is because my children are both still very young and also for financial reasons. So, I feel that nobody should be judged for a decision that they make because each persons' life will have a different outcome because of their decision

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:33 pm 
User

you're not the only one. One of my very good friends was six months along before she discovered the pregnancy. She had no actual symptoms of pregnancy and she had what she called "light" periods every month at the right time. She was extremely skinny so she started noticing something was wrong when she began gaining weight though her diet had not changed. When she discovered she was pregnant, she was crushed and became depressed when she discovered that at 6 months there wasn't really anything she could do even if she wanted an abortion. She gave birth and immediately sought an adoption.

Two of our clients in the past four-five months have also had the same things happen to them. One was five months along, the other four. The one who was five months along had irregular periods so it didn't worry her when she missed one or two of them. The one who was four months along was on so many drugs at the time that she wasn't even paying attention to that part of her body. The one at five months had clean tests so there wasn't anything that she could do. The one at four months, the fetus was so damaged that her parents health insurance flew her to one of the only doctors who perform abortions that late and she obtained an abortion.

It does happen and it doesn't make you a bad person. No two people's bodies are the same so no one experiences pregnancy in the same ways. Don't let it get you down. The memory of it will remain with you, especially since you were so young, but it will get better with time.

User

i also had an abortion at 5 months (20 wks) when I was 15 yrs old in 1973. I was a cheerleader and a virgin one month and pregnant the next. Pregnancy was such a stigma at the time and my family was somewhat up on the food chain in our small town so I couldn't tell them . Abortion had just been legalized a few months before I became pregnant and the state where I lived didn't allow abortions past 12 wks.

At that time, new york was the only state that did late term abortions so that was my first airplane ride - to new york for my abortion. In a roomful of twenty women/girls or so all waiting for our abortions, I was the furthest along at 20 weeks and the youngest.

I hope females are treated with much more sensitivity now than what was provided to me.

Where would you like to start or what would you like to know. I have rich stories and have thought about this for many years but no one to talk with about it.

I am new to this forum and very happy to finally be able to talk. These forums are wonderful... Besides my parents, I think I told about 5 people but no one in 25-30 yrs besides one therapist - I have always lied to every obgyn that I have had (except the one that deliverd my two girls) and told them no abortions.

By the way, I too remember everything about the experience as vividly as if it were yesterday and it has been almost 35 yrs.

User

I too had an abortion at 20 wks...though it was not my decision. I was 16 at the time and my father had already disowned me, and my mom threatened to throw me out of the private school I was in (a very good school) because I would have been an embarassment to her...and my brothers and sisters all felt the way my father did. I was alone, the father did not want it either. I wanted to keep it, there were ways around raising a child alone..but I had no money, or place to stay...so it had to be done. That was was 4 years ago, and I still think about it till this day...>YOU ARE NOT A BAD PERSON...sometimes things happen, and because I was young, I couldn't control my situation. But now that I know, when i finally do have a child, He or she WILL BE MY EVERYTHING, and I'll cherish the moment even more because of the child that was aborted the first time. I'm 20 years old now, and can make decisions on my own. When you finally do have your first child, it will be one of the greatest moments you can ever fathom.....but you're not bad nor evil...everybody makes mistakes, we just have to make the right decision the next time.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:34 pm 
User

I am jyothi i am 22yrs & i am a 1yr child & again i am now 5 months pregant this i came to know recently. So i want to make a abortion. is it possible please let me know the details