Health Care Forum

Body care, skin care, women's health, men's health, children and teens, weight loss & beauty advice

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:08 pm 
User

I just started a new topic about my experience before reading this one.

It's somewhat a relief and also very scary to hear others had the same terrible pain and bleeding, clots etc...

my experience was terrible and is still ongoing. If you are interested read my post. BTW, I was 9 weeks pregnant.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:08 pm 
Doctor

ember21 wrote:
Today, @ 8:50 a.m.) I was given a pill to swallow at Planned Parenthood. They, also, gave me a small envelope containing the 4 pills I'll have to take tomorrow a.m. @ 8:50 a.m. (24 hours after having taken the first at the clinic). I've searched the web looking for 'real' experiences by those who chose a medical abortion. I was told to take 2 Extra Strength Tylenol along with 3 Aleve for pain & Emetrol (available at any pharmacy) for nausea if needed. So far, the only possible side-effect from the progesterone blocker (taken at the clinic) is having to go to the restroom a couple times more than usual (not diarrhea, though) & the fear of tomorrow's experience. I will be going out of town tonight (a trip that I could not cancel) & taking the pills, bucally (by mouth) in the a.m. in hopes that the worst will be over before 5 p.m. (when I'm expected at an event). When I return next week I will honestly give my account of the experience in order to give further insight on what to expect for others contemplating medical abortion vs. surgical. I admit, I'm scared & suspect I'll get little to no sleep tonight.

When I read this i thought it was crazy what she was going to do..aborting in the middle of a trip, got actually curious to read how something like that turned out so I guess since she never came to tell the story back something must have gone really wrong...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:09 pm 
User

Not necessarily - perhaps she is just busy and hasn't thought about it?

User

hope everything turns out ok for you

User

Well, I take the misoprostol(2nd drug) in a couple hours here, and I'm terrified. The clinic gave me a lot of vicodin, but that has not assuaged my fears any....if anything, the fact that I would need such a narcotic scares me more.

I think the prospect of more nausea frightens me the most...I've already been throwing up every day...mostly when I get out of bed, if I'm needing to get up and change pads every hour, Im afraid it'll get worse.

I'll update tomorrow with how it went if I'm not feeling too bad, hopefully it will be over fast.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:10 pm 
User

i just took the misoprostol [2nd set] 12 hours ago. i thought i'd post my experience here to give others an example of what could occur.

i went thru planned parenthood in manhattan. overall, my experience with them was positive. they were polite and didn:t treat me like cattle, though they didn't reach out to me. all in all, i thought they were a good provider. the only thing that bothers me right now was that it wasn't made clear how awful and painful these cramps would be. [if it matters, i was about 4 weeks.]

after i took the misoprostol, i experienced chills within the next 30 mins. these chills were SO bad. i was shocked but it was manageable. i could endure. oh, but then once that subsided, the cramps began. i have a very high tolerance for pain, but i have never had to endure anything like that. on a scale of 1 to 10, i was at least in a level 8 hell. someone mentioned that it wasn:t as bad as being hit by a car. i think i rather take the car.

i had to lie next to the bathroom cause i was so nauseated. i managed to gather enough energy to take some motrin, but i actually ended up throwing up the pain relievers right after. this happened several times. managed to take some vicodin and keep it down. was in agony just waiting for the med to kick in. the main word that comes to mind for the pain was overwhelming. it was just completely overwhelming. the vicodin finally kicked in, so after cramping to death for about an hour [it really felt like some level of death], the pain finally started subsiding and the vicodin lulled me to sleep.

upon awaking, my lower abdomen was sore but i was alright for the most part. i hadn:t actually bled while cramping but had started while sleeping. i felt much better and stronger. still weak, limbs especially, but good enough to get around. i knew i didn:t want to even enter the possibility of going thru that painful experience again, so i made sure to take 2 motrins every 4 hours upon waking. after walking around a little for fresh air, it seemed i was good enough to go and maybe get a little to eat.

oh upon reaching the block of the restaurant i am hit again with nausea, weakness, dizziness, and the pain is starting to seep in again. it is now 10 hours since i have taken this misoprostol. i take a seat in the restaurant thinking it:ll be alright once i sit down and can take a breath. but while sitting, the pain intensifies, as do all those other negative side effects i felt while walking down the block. i:m sweating profusely. after sitting down for 10 mins i am now certain that i will not be able to sit any longer. i need to lie down. i need those painkillers - NOW.

at the moment, it is 3 hours since i:ve found refuge back at home. promptly took a vicodin and a nap. feeling much better. and typing this up to share my experience.

overall, my advice is to take some painkillers before you take the misoprostol. and to keep that vicodin next to you at all times. you might not have deathcramps like some of us have, but don:t be surprised if you do. and take it easy. stay at home, relax. don't leave your comfort zone.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:10 pm 
Doctor

Hi,

Two weeks ago I got an abortion by Cytotec. Here is my experience:
- on the Thursday Morning, I had to take the pills and agreed that I will put them under my tongue. After maybe 30 minutes, the medicine started to take effect and maybe after one hour, I felt the pain worst and worst.

In the evening I got fever and started to be every scared. But they said that this is one of the second effect of Cytotec and can happen. If the fever is not that much and only for maybe one hour, there is no need to go to the Hospital. regarding teh pain, I took painkiller but not really work.
The doctor said that I would feel pain like if I got my period but like I said to him, I have never got pain during my period. Anyway.
Around 3AM in the morning, I started to feel more and more pain and I could not sleep anymore. In order not to awake my boyfriend, I decided to go on the sofa. Around 9AM, it was so painful that I was almost crying.
I knew after that it was kind of beginning of labor even I was not so much pregnant. Anyway, at 11AM, I went to the restroom and suddenly my pregnancy was over. The feeling is so weird... I started to bleed the first hour but not that much, I change only one pad. Then it became smaller and no pain anymore.

The feeling is very strange, even it was my decision to abort and it was preferrable, I got the blues teh first week, especially the four days.
I felt empty and could not stop to imagine if I kept that foetus.

Like many said, this is our choice to abort or not. But abortion is something extremly hard for a woman and since two weeks, I am 100% agreed with that.
Your life change since that moment and nothing is like before. You can try but in your mind, there will be always something different....

I probably will wirte more the next days... May nobody wants to react, please, feel free to post...

Tartine. (BTW I do not live in US or America, I am a little far from you so...the laws are different, but rules and policies for abortion are quite the same).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:11 pm 
User

when I had a medical abortion. It was easy , fast, and convenient. I think the ru480 pill is wonderful!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:11 pm 
User

Hi there,

I wish I could say like you
I unfortunately got some of the bad points of the medical abortion with the pills Misoprostol.

This is a good point that someone post a "positive" experience on that forum for the ones scared or anxious about the abortion.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:12 pm 
User

I don't have time to read everyone else's experiences at the moment, but I wanted to share mine real quick because it was so horrific. I had a spontaneous abortion (also referred to as partial miscarriage) in which there was an amniotic sac intact but no fetus. So, I was given the medical abortion and sent on my way. Mind you, I have great medical insurance in California with Kaiser Permanente... but sometimes they could be a little more on top of things.

So I went home and basically went through child birth for a second time (I had a one-year-old at the time). I suffered contractions just like I had when I was in labor with my son. I thought I had a hernia I was bleeding so much and for so long. About 24 hours later, I developed an extremely high fever and my body fell weak. I had sharp pains shooting through my back and intense headaches. I was rushed to the ER immediately and learned that I had developed a uterine infection from the medical abortion. They decided to give me general anesthesia and perform a surgical abortion (D&C) to get all the tissue of the walls of my infected uterus. It was, all-in-all, a very traumatic experience.

I am now considering an abortion and if I go through with it, I want to be sent directly in for surgery.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next