Health Care Forum

Body care, skin care, women's health, men's health, children and teens, weight loss & beauty advice

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:12 pm 
User

OH yes, with an abortion you can be directly sent for surgery.

They can put you to sleep and it would be painless.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:13 pm 
User

Like a few other people on here, I had a pretty positive experience with both Planned Parenthood (I'm in San Francisco) and medical abortion. Not to say that I wasn't scared out of my mind..

I was "technically" 6 weeks pregnant, but I know that it was really only 4 weeks. Plan B had failed! So for furure reference having an accident and taking the morning after pill doesn't always work out, unfortunately.

Anyway, my boyfriend took me to the clinic on Tuesday for support and what-not ( it really helps to have someone with you there that knows what you will be going through) while they took the ultra-sound, blood tests, talked to me very informativly about my options. I chose medical because the the idea of a surgical procedure seems far too invasive for my liking. It was already unreal that I was pregnant. They nurses and doctors were nicer than I could have imagined and really cared for emotional well-being (they even brought us juice a number of times because we were both scared).

1) PREPARE! Rent movies that will keep you enterained/pass time. Buy food you enjoy that are light such as crackers, apple sauce, bananas, muffins, bagels, ect. Make sure you have enough pads.

Day1: 12pm At the clinic, took the first pill. Felt no side effects. Very nervous about taking the remaining 4 misaprostol. They tell you the worst of the worst of what might happen, and I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing. I felt sick just from being afraid of what might happen after I took the other pills, but in the end.. what happens happens and eventually it will be over and done with.. so I was looking toward that light at the end of the tunnel (trying to stay positive is hard, but you can do it!)

Day2: Woke up at 5am feeling sick and cramping. Called PP and they said it was the pregnancy (I had been having morning sickness for the past 2 weeks), and not to be alarmed. At about 4pm my boyfriend comes home from work and I TAKE 1 VICODIN and 1 IBUPROFIN (this is very important. It helps ease the first cramps ). I put some comfortable clothes on, turned a movie on, snuggled up in a blanket and took the 4 pills buccally (in the cheeks). I didn't feel any results until the 2nd hour. Moderate cramping. I went to the bathroom and passed my first clots (very scary, but they don't hurt, just feels strange). About every other hour or so after I felt a wave of cramps I would sit on the toilet to pass a few clots, and then sit back down. In all, It didn't seem that bad. I normally have severe cramps while on my period, so this was nothing worse than that. I bled normally, had some clots, and bled some more. By 3am, I felt I had passed enough clots to go to bed (but the end, they were very small and hardly noticable).

Day3: Today I feel much better than yesterday. I am still bleeding and mildly cramping, but nothing terrible. I could have gone to class, but decided to rest my body since I had gone through such a intense experience and it's better to rest and feel 100% better. I am still afraid that since maybe it wasn't as bad as I expected, that it's either failed or partial is left inside (but this is my constant worry that there will always be something wrong). I was onlya month pregnant, so I am assuming that is why my expereince may have not been as painful as others. I will go to the doctor on Wednesday to find out how it went.

NOTES:

-prepare everything the day before. eases the stress when you are about to finish the abortion.

-have someone there with you. if not for support, but just to talk abd take your mind off of what is happening. it really helps.

-eat lightly and drink LOTS of water. seriously. i think this helped me have a good expereince.

-like bob marley said "everything's gunna be alright..."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:13 pm 
User

I just took the tablets yesterday, at just under seven weeks, and I thought I'd share my experience for those who might like to know what to expect.

Around 3:00pm, I went over to a good friend's house so I wouldn't have to be alone. I took four ibprofen and the anti-nausea medication a half hour beforehand, as the doctor had instructed. Then at about quarter to four I put the tablets in my mouth and let them dissolve. Even as they were dissolving, I started to get cramps, which got progressively worse the further they dissolved. After a half hour, I swallowed what was left of the pills, and almost retched them back up in the process.

Though most of the experiences I've read say the pain began after about 30 minutes to an hour, for me the pain and nausea began almost immediately after swallowing the pills (the ibprofen and anti-nausea medicine I had taken beforehand had no perceivable effect). I retreated to an empty upstairs bedroom to be alone. The pain and nausea just kept building and building, until finally I managed to get into the bathroom and vomit up the contents of my empty stomach. I also had terrible diarrhea (sorry if tmi, but I think people should know what might be ahead of them). This was all before the bleeding really got started. I ended up going back to the bathroom one more time, which is when I was first able to notice the bleeding. I had chills as well, and my hands were so cold and numb I couldn't even get my fingers to make a fist.

After the first 30 minutes, I still had intensely painful cramps and felt nauseous, but there was no more vomitting or diarrhea. But the pain was SO bad. I've had heavy menstrual periods before, and I've often endured intense cramps--this was pain like I have never felt before. I was curled up on the floor, unable to move, screaming in agony. On a scale of 1-10, it was off the charts. I wanted to die. But then my friend came upstairs, and she brought me some water and convinced me to take one of the tylenol-3 the doctor had prescribed (I had been afraid that I would vomit it back up). I took it, and had some water, which soothed my burning throat, and used a heating pad as well. All this helped a great deal, and the pain gradually began to lessen. Throughout all this, I continued to bleed, a moderate to heavy amount, but I didn't pass any clots near the size of what the doctors had said I might (apparently the size of a lemon is common--yikes), and the more I bled out the better I seemed to feel.

At about 6, I took a second pill, in the hopes of getting rid of the pain completely. After that I rested for about an hour, the pills and the heating pad consoling me, and after a while, save the occassional twinge, the pain was completely gone. I had some tea and water crackers that my friend had left for me, and then I got up and felt, aside from a little tired and sore, almost completely back to myself. I even chatted and joked on my cell phone. Then I got up and went home, curled up in bed with my heating pad. I took a couple more tylenol-3, just to make sure the pain wouldn't return, and went to sleep.

This morning I woke up and felt fine. I'm still bleeding, but I haven't had any real cramps at all (during a normal period, I usually have terrible cramps). I feel like myself again. All in all, the worst of it lasted maybe from an hour to an hour and a half; then it just felt like a bad period; then I felt no pain at all. So, for those of you who are scared about going though this: yes, it's going to hurt. Yes, it will be bad. But you'll live through it, just like I did, and you'll come out the other side, the pain will be gone and you'll be you again.

I'd just like to add that my experience at Planned Parenthood was wonderful, the staff were polite and considerate, answering all of my questions as fully and accurately as possible. There was one nurse in particular who was quite kind to me. None of the staff gave me any illusions about what I would experience; while they told me that most women experience it as a heavy period, they also admitted that it could be very bad indeed. Also, Planned Parenthood is certainly not a "money-making machine," nor are they out to make women feel ashamed or punished; they exist to help women in need, women with nowhere else to turn, and they offer their services at rates substantially lower than average in order to do so. It is something that young women today should not take for granted, since it was not so long ago our mothers and grandmothers had no such places to turn, and women ended up being butchered by pseudo-doctors in back alleys.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:14 pm 
User

MEDICAL abortion is more painful, and WAY MORE intense than a bad period.

Surgical with IV sedation is better, it is painless, and only takes 5 minutes.

User

I am aware that surgical abortion is much easier and less painful, and would have chosen to have one if the Planned Parenthood closest to me offered them, but they only offered medical; I would have had to make a new appointment and go all the way downtown, and I just wanted it over. And for me, although the first hour and a half to two hours was the intense pain you describe, the rest of the night WAS just like a bad period, and then the pain went completely away. I haven't had even a twinge since. But, every woman experiences this differently, and I know that it could have been a lot worse for me.

User

After seeing what my cousin went through with her medical abortion, I chose surgical. I didn't even get put to sleep! The pain was quite bad, but over in less then 5 minutes. We went right from the clinic to a diner to get breakfast. I was starving! I didn't get any cramps afterward, and only bled lightly for about 4 days. My period even started up on time the next month!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:15 pm 
User

Not all abortion providers offer IV sedation, MANY Planned parenthoods do not, because they offer cheaper services than regular abortion clinics.

Most women have to call around to find clinics that offer the extra drugs.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:15 pm 
User

I didn't know that. The clinic I went to wasn't Planned Parenthood, and they offered me sedation, but I chose not to have it. I hate that groggy feeling. I was given a few shots to numb the area (they hurt the more then the proceedure) and left about 10 minutes afterward. I was glad I didn't have to stay and "recover". I just wanted to get out of there!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:16 pm 
User

I just did this 24 hours ago and feel compeled to share my experience.
The clinic that I went to was in Beverly Hills and was great. The doctors and nurses took a lot of time with me. I took the first pill at the doctors office and was told that I could take the other pills that same day (after 6 hours from taking the first one). The first pill did nothing in terms of side-effect, I felt fine; just nervous. I had read in several blogs to keep a heat pad by me and some water. My husband made the living room very cozy with candles and blankets and everything I could possibly need within reach. I was given 10 percacet so decided to take one of them an hour before. I inserted the 4 pills at 7 p.m. and was laying on the couch for the first two hours watching a movie and feeling 'ok'. Although I could certainly feel some rather unusual activity in my body.
At about 9:30, it seems like someone took a baseball bat to my midsection.
I get painful periods so I tolerate pain very well...but this pain, this pain was like NOTHING i have ever felt before. I couldn't move for about two hours, except for wiggling on the couch in various positions and setting the heat pad either on my back or stomach. As far as I'm concerned, the heat pad didn't work, nor did the pain killers. I had to take another one at around 10 p.m. By this point, I was in a completely different place - my husband said I looked hypnotized. I was inside my head so much trying to deal with this pain (8/10 seems about right) .that I couldn't speak. At around 10:30, the fun part kicked in; the vomiting - which I did on and off for about 3 hours. At first, I had to throw up in a bucket by the couch because I couldn't get up. After a few hours, I was able to move to the bathroom and threw up there.

I did start bleeding after about 4 hours after I took the pill, but it wasn't a huge amount. I tried to go to the bathroom and definately passed some smaller clots about twice but I was wearing a pad and didn't 'soak' it like some other people i read about. Although i was bleeding, it didn't seem like as much as I thought I would - especially because the cramping was so severe.

The pain went from bad to worse if that's even possible. I very clearly felt the contractions that were happening almost 5 seconds apart. The only seconds of relief I had from the pain were those 5 seconds between contractions...Every time I felt one, I started to break out in a cold sweat and would feel like getting sick all over again.

At around 12:30 a.m. I felt like the worst was over although the pain was still intense, it was definately more along the lines of a 6. I decided to take a hot bath which my husband ran for me.
He sat in the bathroom keeping me company and the warmth and pressure of the water felt really good. I sat in the tub for about 20 minutes, got out and layed back down on the couch. I threw up a few more times and the pain basically knocked me out at around 1:45. I was in an out of sleep all night. My body was exhausted from what I had just gone through and the pain would keep me up so it was a really strange half sleep.
Today, I have been in bed with a heat pad on my stomach pretty much all day. I have period pains now but nothing like last night and my back is very sore. Besides that, I feel like I am a little bit better, just weak.
I honestly learned a lot about my body last night and how much pain a human being can handle. With that said, I would not recommend a medical abortion to anyone because an abortion is already hard enough so why in the world put yourself through this torture on top of that?
This pain, the vomiting, the whole process was absolutely miserable. I wish I had seen this forum before I decided to do it this way.
Now, I'm left with the fear that I didn't pass everything because I didn't bleed a ton and I have to wait until next week to find out....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:16 pm 
User

MEDICAL abortion is more painful than surgical abortion, and you have that risk of not knowing if it worked...

I ALWAYS recommend surgical abortion with IV sedation, PAINLESS, 5 minutes and it is done, and you bleed a lot less than medical abortion.

IF You did not pass the tissue, they can do a suction abortion, just make sure and get the IV sedation.

MEDICAL abortion puts you into labor, basically.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next