Health Care Forum

Body care, skin care, women's health, men's health, children and teens, weight loss & beauty advice

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:03 pm 
User

Looking to rant/share my story here and hopefully get some replies from others seeking the same. So here goes:

1)planned parenthood can suck my left one. I had a medical abortion 3 months ago and it was like they were going out of their way to make it as dehumanizing an experience as possible.
I went to the clinic in manhattan, where after passing through a metal detector I waited in a room/cattle car chock-full-o-chicas with not enough breathing room, much less seats, for about half an hour. To make matters worse, right smack in the center of said room was a desk, with two conspicuously placed clipboards--the left side was for medical question like myself who were aborting, the right side for everyone else. And so began my 2 month ordeal--walking up to that desk with all eyes burning into me, waiting to see which side I was on and passing their judgment accordingly.
There were 4 separate waiting rooms, each with its own set of forms with way too much fine print for a chica not exactly in the best of ways to be able to process. Sign here, and here, and here...
You'd think that there'd be some kind of counseling, or at least that the nurses would be sympathetic. And you would be wrong. Too many of us and no time to stop the money making conveyor belt to ask questions or offer a kind word. What makes me most enraged is that no one even informed me of the differences between a medical and a surgical--how the bleeding and cramping would be worse and last longer than if i'd just gotten it over and done with there. No time for that!
And then there was the probe. I'm pretty sure they could've done the ultrasound with a panel instead of it, but I guess that wouldn't be as much fun or teach me my lesson as well.

2)"some cramping and bleeding is to be expected" "somewhat stronger than normal menstrual cramps".
Those have to be some of the sickest lies i'll ever encounter in my lifetime. If you're having a medical, what's to be expected is the feeling that your uterus is being ripped from your body accompanied by nausea that'll knock you on your ass in a pool of vomit if you try to make it to the bathroom. I'd highly recommend not doing it alone like I did, or at least planning out everything you could possibly need in advance so that you don't have to attempt to stand...Or better yet, avoiding medical abortion all together.

3)"bleeding can last up to a month"
in my case, after the initial day or two of heavy bleeding, it was relatively light with not a lot of tissue loss. I thought I was done. The doctor told me I was at my follow up. My body disagreed, and the fun only began about 5 weeks after taking the pills while I was on a plane to backpack through a developing nation on the other side of the world. I spent my first week there alone and practically bedridden in a tiny, windowless room with noisy flourescent lighting because the bleeding and tissue loss was so heavy that i'd soak through all sorts of 'feminine hygene' products in ridiculously short periods of time. I thought I was dieing. My lonely planet guide advised me that the closest reliable medical care was a 5 hour boat trip away. I had my boyfriend back home call planned parenthood for advice--and check this: they said they had nothing to do with it and couldn't tell him anything because it was happening after a certain set time period within which they'll still pretend to give a caca about whether or not their patients die. I caca you not.

Obviously, it didn't kill me. I guess my advice to anyone reading this would be a) to avoid planned parenthood and conveyor belt abortion clinics and instead find a reliable obgyn and b) to inform yourself about both medical and surgical options cause you can't trust the practitioner to, and be aware that big-pharma's mifeprestone propaganda will tend to understate the drama that accompanies the pill.

Alright then...I think i'm done. It'd rock if someone else posted too.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:04 pm 
User

Hi, i'm glad you spoke up because I have been pretty pissed about the same thing since I had my abortion a year ago--although it was at a clinic in england similar to pp. I was pretty much the same, indifference from doctors and nurses, the waiting room was packed, and the procedure was so excruciatingly painful I thought my entire uterus came out. Also they put me in a chair tilted upwards so I was kind upside down and then I could see them dispose of the tissues and fetus. Not to mention the holy rollers outside throwing rosary beads in my face. I had to stamp all over his pictures of fetus development to get them to back off. I've been living in ireland so that was even worse because I felt like a refugee fleeing the "wholesome catholic country" to do somethng which is completely within my rights as a woman. I think what bothered me the most was the way it felt so dehumanizing--like they were trying to punish me. I mean no anesthisia--come on!! They give a person a local anesthisia if they're removing a mole from your arm or or pulling a tooth. It was just disgusting. I thikn the way to go is to find a good doctor because then they give you the local anesthisa and are much more respectful. The clinics are so overbooked especially in england because they have all the good little irish coming over there to get abortions.

Anyway, I can completely understand your anger, it is surgery and they should treat the woman and process more respectfully instead of like a factory farm. But that is still present in the general consciousness--to punish women who have abortions becase they are evil or some bs. I would advice other people who are looking to have a termination to go to a personal doctor you know has a good reputation or fight for better treatment at the clinics.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:04 pm 
Doctor

I am very sorry about your experience.

Not all planned parenthoods are like that though. I know four people who had abortions and went through a local planned parenthood and were counseled, informed, etc.
So, I guess my advice would be to go wherever it is that you feel comfortable but if you do go somewhere that they treat you like that then don't get it done there! Go somewhere else!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:05 pm 
User

Thought I would add my experience of an early medical abortion in the uk. Whilst the people at the clinic were really nice, they so lied about just how nasty it would be. This happened just yesterday so I expect its not all over yet Sad

the cramps were unbelievable, a double dose of painkillers didnt even touch the pain. Then the bleeding started and just didnt stop for 10 hours, with large amounts of tissue loss and clots along with the blood literally pouring from me (sorry if tmi). I nearly passed out several times when I stood up. The heavy bleeding has stopped now 24 hrs after taking the drugs, but I still feel grim.

I still believe the decision I made was the right one, but I am still sad for the loss of what would have been my first baby. But accidents happen and I couldnt subject any child of mine to sub standard quality of life because of my errors. I had a difficult childhood and am still affected by it, so could not inflict this on my child.

In hindsight, maybe I would have gone for the surgical if I had been told the full truth of what a medical abortion entailed.

Anyway, thanks for reading if you got this far.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:05 pm 
User

I had an abortion today and it wasn't half as bad as i thought it was going to be.
I inserted the 4 pills myself and about 45 minutes later i got the most intense pains which were almost makin me cry, pain killers didnt work so the nurse gave me an injection of pethidine and when that kicked in i felt no pain at all. The pains i had lasted for about 45 minutes also and the pregnancy passed right through me after that. Don't have to go back for a check up.
The staff were brilliant and i don't regret my decision one bit.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:06 pm 
User

First, I am eternally sorry that you were treated this way or were expecting different treatment at that facility. Even though I recently separated employment with Planned Parenthood, I have made a call to both my former region director and the New England region director to pass along your story. It is very hard for the staff at the locations that provide abortions to give personalized care. I know that that is no excuse for how you were treated but it is the truth. We do have sensitivity training that all are supposed to go through but sometimes it is never enough to deal with what goes on on a daily basis. As you said yourself, that location sees an incredibly large number of clients on a daily basis for a variety of different services. Plus, New York, unlike 32 other state in the US, does not require providers to offer or give counseling prior to an abortion. To keep the cost of the abortion down, many affiliates that are not required by law to offer it do not so that the savings can be passed to the patient.

Secondly, abortion providers typically do not make money by solely providing abortions. The insurance, cost of security, licensing, outfitting the building and rooms properly, etc, typically mean that providers either provide abortions at a loss (in which case family planning services or gynecological services are also offered to make a profit) or provide them at cost (most private providers). Planned Parenthood as a non-profit organization typically offers abortion services at a loss to make them as affordable as possible to our clients who need them. It's also why we offer no frills, basic abortions. Our other services are what keep the organization afloat. In the future, if you would like more personalized care, you would do better to go to a private provider who will offer more options (and the abortion may cost more as well).

User

First off I want to say that I am so very sorry that you had to go through this experience in such a negative horrible way. It really sounds like this branch of P.P. has dropped the ball big time. I just wanted to let you know this is not the norm. I know from personal experience - I recently had the best experience at my local planned parenthood. They were very informative, let me know my options, gave me a private number for questions or problems and such.
I also know that the 'probe' is absolutely the most uncomfortable thing ever invented, but I know they had to use it since you (and I) were still early in the preg. Sorry about that. It sucks I know.
I feel really sad that you had that experience, I just wanted to add in, just in case ones considering P.P. are here. Your experience shouldnt be expected or accepted.

User

I had the second dose of pills for a medical abortion today. I was very nervous about the prospect of going through the surgical procedure because I am totally afraid of doctors and such. After taking the first pill at the clinic 2 days ago, I got on the web and tried to find some stories written by other women who had endured the "intense period cramps" that come with the procedure. (I am a giant wimp and was worried about how much it would hurt). I had a hard time finding realistic experiences that could have helped me be more prepared so that is my goal here, to provide anyone about to have a medical abortion with a genuine account of what happened to me in the most un-biased way possible. I was 8 weeks and 2 days along.

Day 1- took first pill at clinic to block the progesterone hormone. This was super easy and the people at the clinic were so nice and helpful. I went home feeling confident and had no side effects from this medication. I didn't experience any spotting or cramping and went about my day as usual.

Day 2- This is a hard day. You have to wait 48 hours before taking the second set of medication and that is nerve wracking!! I was really nervous about the pain that was to come and couldn't find anyone who could tell me exactly what it would be like. I was very emotional, nothing to do with the pregnancy ending, just because I didn't want to deliberately hurt myself and was a little worried about all the blood. I was really preparing myself for the worst and even had a panic attack that night.

Day 3- I woke up and wanted to vomit. Morning sickness? Nervousness? who knows but I felt so ill and scared. My fiance took the day off to stay home with me while I went through the process which I cannot say enough how much it helps to have someone talk to. It is a difficult thing to do to take those last pills, knowing full well it's gonna hurt but doing it anyway. My fiance was great and helped me get up the courage to do it. I was scared but the minute I took the pills I felt better. It was done. Anything that was going to happen now would come and go and I could get on with my life. It felt like a huge weight had been lifted. I was only allowed to take an over the counter pain med. called Pinado, because anything else could have caused the procedure not to work properly. I took the pain meds BEFORE the abortion pills. This was a good decision as I didn't have any pain at all for 2 hours and only bled very lightly. In hour 3, I got up to use the toilet and had some moderate cramping. I passed 2 enormous clots (which didn't hurt at all). and the cramping subsided. The rest of hour 3 was painless. Hour 4 was the worst though. All of a sudden I was hit with a wave of cramps that were about a 7 out of 10 on a pain scale. (10 being like say...hit by car) They lasted about 10 minutes and then I passed alot of clots the size of golf balls. Immediately after, the cramps stopped and although I have continued to bleed, I have had no more cramping at all.

Tips:
Make sure you time your pain medication so that it kicks in before the other pills you are given.

A heating pad makes the minor cramps disappear.

Get up every hour or so and sit on the toilet. This lets you check to see how much you are bleeding and allows the big clots to pass.

Watch tv or a movie to distract you.

have someone there to help out by talking to you or getting you things if you need them.

Other Thoughts: I was very satisfied with the medical abortion. I felt that the total time of what I would consider bad pain was only about 20 minutes out of 4 hours. I know everyone is different and can have different reactions to things but I had a good experience and would recommends it to anyone who is fearful of the surgical options and under 9 weeks along. I really hope this helps someone, I would have killed for a walk through like this on day 2! Best wishes!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:07 pm 
User

Today, @ 8:50 a.m.) I was given a pill to swallow at Planned Parenthood. They, also, gave me a small envelope containing the 4 pills I'll have to take tomorrow a.m. @ 8:50 a.m. (24 hours after having taken the first at the clinic). I've searched the web looking for 'real' experiences by those who chose a medical abortion. I was told to take 2 Extra Strength Tylenol along with 3 Aleve for pain & Emetrol (available at any pharmacy) for nausea if needed. So far, the only possible side-effect from the progesterone blocker (taken at the clinic) is having to go to the restroom a couple times more than usual (not diarrhea, though) & the fear of tomorrow's experience. I will be going out of town tonight (a trip that I could not cancel) & taking the pills, bucally (by mouth) in the a.m. in hopes that the worst will be over before 5 p.m. (when I'm expected at an event). When I return next week I will honestly give my account of the experience in order to give further insight on what to expect for others contemplating medical abortion vs. surgical. I admit, I'm scared & suspect I'll get little to no sleep tonight.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:07 pm 
User

Take extra pads with you, because you will still be bleeding quite heavily later on that evening, and travelling will make the bleeding worse.

Movement, exercise, and general activity makes abortion bleeding heavier.