Health Care Forum

Body care, skin care, women's health, men's health, children and teens, weight loss & beauty advice

All times are UTC

[ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Height & Weight
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:49 pm 
User

Just yesterday I had my 13 year old step-daughter hop up on our bathroom scale. I was shocked She weighed 160 lbs! She is only 5'5" and this really worries me as two years when her father and I married she was a very small built child. Last summer her father weighed her and she was 135 lbs and 5'2" tall. She has grown considerably in the last year which I know is going to add on some weight but I have a hard time seeing it as 25 pounds worth!
Unfortunetly her mother is not very approachable on the subject of her health although her father does try to communicate things to her. Oh, and she won't speak to me at all, about the child or the weather.
I am not overly obsessed with her weight, but because of issues with my parents I had been out of town for a while and had not seen her and it was very noticable when I got back home. I've tried internet searches and there are conflicting reports and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions. When she is visiting with us, we try to watch how much sugary stuff she eats and her portions. I prefer giving her a little of everything we have and she can have a bit more if she wants it. From what she says she eats everything she wants and as much of it that she wants at her moms.
We have healthy snacks for her at our house such as the fruits and vegetables and weather permitting I get her outside to run around and play as much as possible but she prefers to sit inside and watch tv (I only let her watch for 2 hours through out the whole day).
Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. I'm just worried about her overall health and what the possible extra weight might do to her growing body.

Post subject: Re: Height & Weight
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:52 pm 
User

You didn't say how long you have her, but you sure are on the right track. I would encourage bike rides and walks and games outside. teach her about food groups. Have her cook with you so she can learn about healthy meals. Offer to buy her a new wardrobe or some cute clothes if she will work at shaping up(not lsoing weight). Right now you still have a chance to help teach her the right choices and right diet. Keep at it!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:52 pm 
Doctor

Hi.This is a tough call because at this age they are growing like weeds and hungry ALL THE TIME.My daughter is 12, and eats everything in sight,but she never gains a pound and is very skinny.
I also have a step daughter though who has a bit of a weight problem,and it's hard letting my daughter eat what she wants,but not allowing the step daughter to.

I agree with encouraging her to be active.And try to have healthy snacks on hand instead of fattening ones.Being as she lives with her mother most of the time though seems like you can't do that much.
Is her mother also over weight? Maybe she doesn't see it as a problem?
Do you think step daughter is eating to comfort herself?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:53 pm 
User

Thanks for your quick response, and we have her every other weekend during the school year, and during 1/2 of her christmas break and all of her spring break, which she is on now. Through the summer months we have her every other week. The break up in schedule makes it tough to help her knowing she goes back to her moms house and all the junk food she wants.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:43 pm 
User

This is really become an big problem.But these is a solution for these try to do exercise such as swimming and cycling these both exercise are proved to be so effective for increasing the height and for losing the weight. Just do these exercise regularly these will definitely going to effect a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:12 pm 
User

There are many exercises for increase height. Cycling and swimming are really good for boost height. Yoga and running are also good for weight loss. We should do exercise because they give us good posture and muscles flexibility.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:14 pm 
User

This is absolutely become an big problem.But these is a band-aid for these try to do exercise such as pond and cycling these both exercise are accepted to be so able for accretion the acme and for accident the weight. Just do these exercise consistently these will absolutely travelling to after-effect a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:09 pm 
User

Height and weight are the most important part of the our body so we try to very limit our this part. If we increase our weight then it is not look nicely and if our Weight is not good then also we do not look nicely. So we do made medium type of the our weight and height. We take more and more food then obisally our weight is increase.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:27 pm 
User

When Children is small height and weight is the very important. It is useful to the future. If you increase your hight and weight then you do running, cycling and jumping in the ground. You take some fresh food so you weight may be increase.

[ 9 posts ]