Health Care Forum

Body care, skin care, women's health, men's health, children and teens, weight loss & beauty advice

All times are UTC

Post subject: Prostate health
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:27 pm 
User

Hi all, I have a question about my husband's PSA. He just had his yearly lab work done, and his PSA came 3.7. His doctor told him that is too high and to do a free PSA test and see him in a week. He feels a very slight discomfort, maybe a small infection? The urinalysis came negative.

There are so many supplements out there for prostate health, so I am confused as to what to buy for him, he is 62. I would greatly appreciate some advice.

Post subject: Re: Prostate health
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:27 pm 
User

Sashkin, the most popular natural remedies for prostate enlargement (in no particular order of effectiveness) are Vitamins B6, D, E, Glycine, Kava-Kava, L-Glutamic Acid, L-Lysine, Parsley, Pumpkin Seed, Pygeum Africanum, Saw Palmetto, Selenium, Stinging Nettle and Zinc. If cancer is involved, then you might consider adding Cat's Claw. AHCC and Ellagic Acid. As for the PSA reading, a single reading is fairly meaningless. If there is an upward trend over a period of months or years, then there might be cause for concern. The PSA test itself is only about 60% accurate in the first place. Blood flow to and within the prostate is fairly minimal, so any cancer in the prostate tends to develop very slowly. The flip side of that is the minimal blood flow carries fewer immune cells to the area.

If it's any consolation, prostate cancer is a disease that men die WITH, not FROM. Very rarely does prostate cancer metastasize (spread to other organs and tissues) and when you hear of a man "dying from prostate cancer" in reality it means he died from the effects of the treatment, not from the cancer.

Keep an eye on it (that's called "watchful waiting") and don't be rushed into a treatment. When and if several PSA readings in a row are 10.0 or higher, then you might have cause for concern.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:39 pm 
User

firstly you know your family history. If there is prostate blight in your actual ancestors father, brother, son, etc. Again you may be at added risk. If more than one old male relative had prostate cancer then you are at a much high risk. So try to reduce prostate cancer. If any people have this cancer then please live far to other people.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:58 am 
User

My father is 59 and he is also suffering the same problem. Thank you for your advice Sabe.